Posted .

Do you have an irregular bite? One in five people do have a minor form of malocclusion, which is any type of irregular contact between the upper and lower teeth when the jaw is closed. Some of the time, there is no need of treatment because the issue is so minor, but in a number of more serious cases, an orthodontist needs to be sought.

Types of Malocclusion

Overbite: An overbite is when the upper teeth protrude over the lower teeth by a proportion of between 30-50%. It is the most common type of malocclusion.

Underbite: An underbite is a condition in which the lower teeth and jaw protrude in front of the upper teeth, causing the sufferer to have an unnatural appearance. This is a malocclusion that may require jaw surgery to fix.

Open bite: An open bite is the term used when areas of the upper and lower teeth are unable to make physical contact with each other when the jaws are closed. In many cases, front teeth do not meet due to obstructing back teeth, making the mouth look “open.”

Crossbite: A crossbite is when the teeth do not sit upon each other optimally. In a normal bite, the upper teeth sit a little outside the lower teeth at the front and back and on both sides of the mouth. So when the two rows of teeth don’t meet correctly, this is a lateral misalignment of the dental arches.

Fixing a bad bite misalignment is generally the role of an orthodontist. Treatment usually involves braces and time spent slowly adjusting for optimal contact of the teeth.

If you have malocclusion and would like more information about treatment, call Dr. Derick Phan and our helpful team at Phan Orthodontics. Phone: 408.251.7901, or come by our office in San Jose, California.