As you’re heading out the door, don’t forget your orthodontic hand bag that will help you get through the day with braces! By having the following items in your bag, you will have a successful, prepared, and convenient day with braces:
1. Toothbrush and toothpaste: Make sure to keep your toothbrush and toothpaste with you throughout the day. It is very easy to get food stuck in your braces, which is why we suggest brushing your teeth after each meal and snack. That way, you won’t have the embarrassing experience of having a food-filled smile when you smile and talk to those around you.
2. Floss: It is strongly recommended that you floss your teeth at least once a day, but you may need to floss more often with braces. There are times when the process of brushing your teeth is unsuccessful with removing the food that is stuck in your braces, which is why it’s handy to keep floss with you throughout the day.
3. Orthodontic wax: Sometimes your braces might poke and bother you, giving you sores on your cheeks, lips, and tongue. If you place orthodontic wax over the areas that are bugging you, your cheeks, lips, and tongue will be protected and you will have the comfort you need!
4. Chapstick: Oftentimes, braces chap and crack your lips, which can be extremely inconvenient and painful at times. If you apply chapstick throughout the day, you will have the smooth, fresh lips you desire.
5. Mirror: With braces, you might find yourself taking multiple trips to the restroom just to check your appliance. By keeping a small mirror in your bag, you can check your braces at any time and you will no longer need to take extra trips to the ladies and men’s rooms.
6. Mouth guard: If you are an athlete or musician, don’t forget to wear your mouth guard! By wearing a mouth guard, your teeth, cheeks, lips, and tongue will be protected while you play your sports and instruments.
7. Your smile: Even if you’re self-conscious, don’t forget to smile! Braces are very common, and people are more likely to notice your mouth if you try to hide your smile. Go throughout the day showing off your smile and be proud of what you have!
For more tips on how to make your experience with braces efficient, convenient, and successful, call our office today and talk to your orthodontist. We are delighted to help you have the best orthodontic journey possible!